Alaska and British Columbia - Inside Passage Wilderness Expedition (Southbound)
Sailing from Juneau, we follow the Inside Passage through protected channels between Southeast Alaska and coastal British Columbia. Along the way, we scan for wildlife, including whales, orcas, bears, sea otters, seals and sea lions.
Rich Culture and Living History
Visiting small Alaskan towns, such as Wrangell and Petersburg before making our way down to British Columbia for where we explore the small towns of Prince Rupert and Alert Bay. Petersburg gives us a taste of Norway due to its strong Scandinavian roots whilst Wrangell is steeped in so much history along with magnificent scenery and wildlife opportunities. Alert Bay is a charming community of with local people happy to share their stories and rich history with us.
Unmatched Scenery and Wildlife
Experience spectacular scenery through immense wilderness – lush rainforests, wide open spaces, small islands dotted throughout - all combine to create an unforgettable expedition cruise.
- Follow the Inside Passage from the mountains of Alaska to the pacific coastline of British Columbia
- Spend time whale watching from on deck
- Experience the rich diversity of towns and cultures along the Pacific Northwest coast
- Discover the northernmost rainforest in the world
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail through
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- Visa for Canada (ETA) - for details please see visa information in our entry requirements
Start of the Expedition - Juneau - Full Day
The capital of Alaska, Juneau features the ambience of a gold rush town with old saloons, historic hotels, and remnants of gold mines in the mountains and valleys.
The Soul of Alaska - Wrangell - Full Day
One of the oldest island towns in Alaska, Wrangell has been governed by four different nations – Tlingit, Russia, Britain and the United States. Numerous petroglyphs on the beach and moss-covered totem poles are living reminders of the history of this area.
Little Norway in Alaska - Petersburg - Full Day
Nicknamed “Little Norway,” rarely-visited Petersburg is a thriving fishing village with strong Norwegian heritage, breathtaking scenery, and abundant marine life. Proud of their Scandinavian roots, local residents even celebrate Norwegian holidays, and the heart of the community is the “Sons of Norway Hall.”
Unspoiled Wilderness - Misty Fjords National Monument - Full Day
The largest wilderness area in Southeast Alaska, Misty Fjords National Monument is a realm of thick evergreen rainforests, granite cliffs adorned by dramatic waterfalls, mountain rivers and coastal wetlands with milky fog often filling the bays and coves. Quiet and tranquil, this magical place will show you the serenity of the Alaskan soul.
Canadian Frontier Town - Prince Rupert - Full Day
Gateway to immense wilderness on the northern coast of British Columbia, Prince Rupert was a busy city at the turn of 20th century – a major port and railway terminus. Nowadays, it is a sleepy provincial town with interesting stories, wilderness at its doorstep and the beauty of a coastal setting.
Exploring the British Columbia Inside Passage - Butedale, BC, ship cruising through BC Inside Passage - Full Day
A day of exploration through the narrow channels of the Canadian Inside Passage. Prince Royal Island offers ghost towns, abandoned canneries, and waterfalls coming in view, and we will enjoy great wildlife spotting, from eagles overhead to seals lounging on rocky shores.
First Nations – Keepers of the Inside Passage - Alert Bay - Half Day
Alert Bay´s Kwakwaka’wakw First Nations community is based in this scenic village at the northern tip of Vancouver Island. Enjoy the elaborate totem poles, paintings, carvings and ceremonial masks in the local museum. We will search for wildlife on the nearby islands.
End of the Expedition - Vancouver
Our voyage ends with a return to cosmopolitan Vancouver. Take your time to explore this colorful and welcoming city to get the most out of your journey.